Friday, January 1, 2010

Twenty Ten

One of my favourite newspaper columnist said that there is a cool ring to it, and I agree with her. It seems we have been talking about this particular year for quite some time now. Targets had been set in companies for achieving some desired objective by 2010. Nifty slogans had been crafted and drilled deep down the heads of employees. It seems that in the last few years we were always trying to reach somewhere by TT. We now have just 364 more days to make it happen!
Also - "Twenty Ten" conjures up vision of Cricket in its new Avataar - "T 20" and along with it images of fast paced , action packed, adrenalin pumping drama. It looks like that the markets also have started warming themselves up in preparation for TT and the indices are resembling Tendulkar' score.

Cool definitely it is - in more ways than one. Today I am reading blog posts about the controversy over our Mantriji's Twitter posts. Boy - have we reached somewhere! BTW - another female columnist recently described the Hon. Mantriji as "dishy". Twenty years back I was lying on my hostel room bed reading a novel written by this guy. By any stretch of imagination I couldn't have imagined this situation.
Ten years back R & I got our first phone connection at home - we paid a huge premium to the sarkari phone company to get something called a Tatkal connection. Before that we had to walk down to the corner kirana to make STD calls home. Today R & I Skyped, SMSed, Facebooked, Instant Messaged and called on each other's cell - all across continents.

Having said all that, certain things are still the same. Mother made "Baigan Bharta" today and it was same as she used to make it when I was a teenager. I didn't reach out to some folks today - not because I couldn't Skype, SMS, Facebook, Instant Message, or call on their cells - but because I couldn't make myself to do so. They are definitely reachable as long as I want to reach out and as long as they want to be reached out to. I haven't changed and so haven't others.

Well - introspection over - now how do I spend the rest of the first evening of the year? R suggested that I get a good bottle of Red. I decided against it. After writing this post, I would rather go back to the big fat Red colored book that I have been reading for the past few weeks. Popularity of that book hasn't waned in over fifty years.

Happy TT to all readers of this post! Hope to write more often this year.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent ! Have a great TT .......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always call ... Happy TT to R & U, and Mimi and Moshai...+1-717-DIPURAY

    ReplyDelete