Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Pink Therefore I Am

Of late, pink seems to be the only thing you can be certain of. Quite like the lyrics in this great song, pink seems to be a new obsession in India in these days. The color seems to be all around you now, appearing at the most unexpected places and situations.
The phenomena can be easily explained - it is mainly because Valentine's day is just round the corner. The patron saint of lovers seems to have been officially inducted into the Hindu pantheon of 330 million gods and his feast day celebrations now joins the ranks of Holi and Diwali. But do we really need so much of pink around us? Close to my office, a grotesquely large billboard of a shopping mall in a baby pink background has been recently put up. I can think of card and gift stores flooding their premises with pink colored mushy objects, I can even excuse jewelery stores and saree shops putting up pink colored posters - but ads of Dell laptops in pink font seems to be taking it a bit too far. What is completely inexplicable is why the Confederation of Indian Industry chose to have shades of pink in its newspaper ads. Where will this all end?
My relationship with pink is now at a very precarious balance and this onslaught may upset the whole thing anytime soon. Long back when I was a teen I was given a fuchsia colored T shirt as a gift by a relative. I was too polite to protest and had meekly worn that so as not to offend. Ever since then I have been trying to keep myself as far away from such clothing as possible. At times it has been losing battle. Somehow or other pink colored accouterments seems to be infiltrating my closet. The only thing that is holding the ground in Pink's favour at this time is salmon and rose wine.
All I can now say to pink is not to try its luck too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment