Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quick Gun - Woebegone!

Woebegone? Well not really! But that needs a more philosophical treatment and at the very least deserves a separate posting of its own. In this one I would rather focus on the "Quick Gun" part. If I have managed to keep the reader interested till this point - let me start by saying that I am suddenly finding myself in midst of allegorical references to and association with fast drawing and sharp shooting in the last 24 hours.
Yesterday morning started with this Times of India editorial that talks of politicians in our country who are drawing really fast and outgunning their opponents. An interesting perspective I would say, and had uncharacteristic levity for an editorial in a national daily. Later in the day, after a lazy mid morning breakfast I managed to catch the last scene of the classic spaghetti western The G, The B and the U on the TV. Before R could chide me for watching this movie for the nth time, I saw G drawing faster than B , shooting B, his hat and gun down a grave in a cemetery. Then with U's hands tied behind his back and head in a noose, G rides into the horizon with four sacks full of gold. Truly classic I would say and I could watch it n more times!
That brings me to the last and concluding part of this post where in later in the night I am the protagonist and true to my style I drew faster but probably the other guy won. Before the reader starts getting ideas I should clarify that the armament in question is housed in a leather wallet and not in a holster. Yes, I am referring the piece of plastic that claims to give priceless joy to its users. The reader is requested to turn her mind away from scenes of desolate desert cemeteries to scenes in restaurant tables when the wine has been drunk, the food is past the oesophagus and table is being cleared. Now here is where the script has a twist. When it comes to the part where the plastic needs to be drawn out, the script has been repeating with exact precision in my case since the day I started earning. I have a unique record of consistently winning the draw. Now there are situations where the script clearly identifies who needs to draw the plastic out - but these situations do not need a fast draw contest. I am talking of those situations when things are not that clear and easy. These are times when the dining encounters are not planned in advance and each gunslinger in the party has enough firepower behind the plastic. At these times, when bill is presented, the suspense may surpass a Mexican Standoff. The question is then who draws first.
In all these years I have not been able to figure out what winning is and what is losing. Yesterday night I found myself in a similar duel - and I drew faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment